frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Sporting activities lottery spikes criminal offense in Kaduna

In Nigeria, lottery continues to be going on from time immemorial. Until recently however, it was individuals who largely engaged in it and the elderly and some specialized interest groups. Pool betting had been popular among the middle aged.

Others viewed it a custom that has been simple to start but very tough to quit, as outright gaming.

Today however, lottery is re branded and made more alluring, especially targeting teenagers and the youth. Prominent among the captivating attributes of now’s lottery isn't only that it is sports-oriented, which regularly fascinates the youths, but because of its use of the net and other hi tech input signals which makes it more easy, reachable and quick. This is unlike before when lottery was just and analog played at designated offices/centers.

Some sports lottery that is prevalent played today are bet9ja wins, Naira bet, Cash wager, 360 stake, Fast stake, Sure bet, Sahara stake, 1960 stake, Wager revolution, among others. Some of the standards for winning include: forecasting the team that may win a match or the individual that'll win a race; predicting the team(s) that can qualify for a competition or the first to qualify; predicting the player who will score/amount of goals to be scored in a match; calling the player who will receive the first yellow/red card and the number of cards that will be received, etc.

In Kaduna, Daily Trust test reveals that few individuals have actually won and those winners have continued to function as a reference point and enticing force to the thousands of youths who have become active players but are yet to win.

Investigation additionally suggested that sports betting has badly diverted the focus of such youths from forging ahead in life. Some have given substantial attention, time, resources and energy to sports betting and have relegated their school, work, businesses and domestic work/family duties to the background.

Ayodele Joseph, a footballer and teacher in Kakuri region of Kaduna South local government, says sports betting that its dependence has become worse than that of drugs and is fast becoming a menace.

I educate in a secondary school and I’m also a footballer. Owing to my profession and livelihood, I blend with bunches of youths. What I've noticed is a substantial amount of them are turning to sports betting to deliver them from poverty. It's their wish to make simple and quick money devoid of effort. They're no more paying attention to their studies or careers. Sports betting is gradually taking over their lives. Included in these are students, workers, apprentices and applicants," he said.

Joseph said one looks the name it's called, it truly is still gambling and it's also a game of sheer chance.

A staff of Kaduna Polytechnic, Paul Johnson, said sports betting has generated increased crime rate in his area, KurminGwari, in Kaduna South, saying totes, phone snatching and breaking into peoples’ dwellings have become the order of the day.

"Bulk of the lads in my personal area are into gambling and they do’t work. So that you can get the cash, they snatch peoples and phones ’ totes, along with break into folks’ houses in broad daylight looking for what to steal and sell."

He said most of the boys who hitherto were bus drivers, conductors, bricklayers, and others have left their work for the stake offices. Because it is raising joblessness among the already jobless youths." "Sports lottery is impoverishing the society

He said his major preoccupation presently is sports betting, adding that he is encouraging youths to engage in it because they could win like him, though he is seeking admission to go back to school.

"Last year November, 000 in Bet9ja, N707 was won by me. I played with only N500 to win all that money. Since then I have been winning other monies amounting to over N300, 000. The highest sum I 've played with is N1, 000.

"Sports betting is my company for now; I can say that is what I now do for a living even though I 'm still trying to find admission. Most individuals do as some of us do ’t win; while other times it's skills occasionally it's chance. I advise everybody because it is possible to become a winner like me to be a part of it. For those youths who were said to have left their work or school for sports betting, I believe they understand what they're gaining from your gaming to have made such choice," he said.

When asked what he did or is doing with the cash he continues to be winning, he said they are being invested by him, but did not divulge how.

The ladies will not be left out. A female hair stylist that she wins she'll equip her salon with modern hair and who preferred anonymity said she's into sports lottery too. She claimed to know many individuals who have won, and says so long as people keep winning, she'll keep betting until she wins someday.

The proprietor of Standard Global Academy Kakuri, Racy Hyginus, wondered why betting that was such should be legalized by the government, stressing that it is seriously affecting negatively on education.

"Pupils no more pay attention for their studies because of sports betting. Should government even legalize something in this way in the first place? This should be trashed immediately before it ruins the youths and the education system. This is an extension of gaming and instead of the pupils to think in their instruction, what they are worried about is how to get cash for gaming. Is essence of going to school? if they could stake N1,000 to get N1 million, what It should be nicely censored if the government would permit something such as this and there should be an age limit," he said.

Lukeman asserted that so long as the gambling is permitted to continue, students WOn't give their best to their education. He informed the youths to redirect their focus, saying instruction holds a better promise of an assured future than the gambling which play and they borrow money and also steal to go.

A housewife, Veronica Samuel, who resides in Kurmin Gwari, said she thought that it was a benign and reliable means of earning cash, but later learned it was pure gaming. She said wherever youths are collected in her area they talk about is betting and the way to get money to play.

Mrs Samuel said apart from the speed of larceny which has increased, some of the youth are applying diabolical and religious means in order to win, noting that if nothing is urgently done about it, the state may end up not having concentrated, educated and enterprising youths.

He said unfortunately, however, most of the lottery businesses are still operating illegally and that he is waiting for the list of the prohibited operators from his head office sanitise the system and in order to clamp down on them.

He also noted that those managing the prohibited sports lottery are foreigners, and that the money they make is rather fostering their economy than that of Nigeria.

Adamu enjoined the youths to control their actions rather than let their involvement in sports lottery take over their lives or lead them into any type of crime, adding that they should consistently report any injustice meted on them by the lottery operators.